The Faces Of Newgrounds The Faces Of Newgrounds

Damn

Newgrounds is a total sausage-fest.

Tall 'n Short Tall 'n Short

This is What Collabs Are For

I actually thought this one was the funniest out of the shape animations on the front page.

Since you guys obviously worked together on these, why didn't you just put them together as a collab? They are definitely short enough to go together, and I'm sure people would be less pissed off about these hogging up the front page. So, economize?

Papa and the door Papa and the door

Not Bad

Cute concept, though it felt a bit unfinished.
I sort of expected the photographer to try more ways to keep the door shut. That old tug-of-war type of story that we've seen in countless episodes of Looney Toons. Your drawing style is nice though, and a nice short for what you were trying to accomplish.

Concerned Joe Concerned Joe

A Bit of a Gripe

I know it's a balancing thing, but do you really have to move that slowly on ceilings/pushing blocks? Couldn't you make the meter run out faster while doing these tasks instead? It makes repeating the later puzzles more tedious than interesting. "Hm, I already know how to do this but I have to watch my blob Joe push this block excrutiatingly slowly across the screen."

While I'm on the subject, block pushing some puzzles made no sense to me at all. Like how pushing two blocks into one another makes the former go on top of the latter?

That said, there were lots of a-ha moments where I felt like I had completed some cleverly designed puzzles. And the concept lends to some pretty interesting puzzles. I was more interested in the ones where the meter forced you to move more quickly/adeptly through an area, rather than the ones where I was running back and forth while pushing a block across the screen.

Great concept, just nexf time more time-based puzzles and less grinding puzzles.

Hippolyta Hippolyta

Just a Quick Suggestion Regarding Obstacles

I really enjoyed this; great art and sound design, especially.

My one suggestion in the future would be to make the obstacles more clearly distinct from the background. I often found that I would be knocked over by a tree branch or log because I didn't realize they were in the foreground. Some way of making these items jump into forward (maybe by using more contrast or more clearly defined features). As I'm sure you're aware, warm colors tend to come into the foreground, while cooler colors drift into the background. The other option would be to add a more definitive outline to foreground objects, but this would ruin your aesthetic. This problem might be the reason some people think the game is too difficult.

I will say I love the way sound is used to clue the player in on an upcoming enemy. It creates a good feeling of anticipation. Also the Prince of Persia-style narration was perfect.

Evil-Dog responds:

thanks for the review, we're taking all the inputs, level selection, more distinct obstacles, armors that are not only visual, etc and we're gonna put all that in the next game :)

Mole's quest Mole's quest

Potential

Your character really needs to be able to move faster. Also in games like this, typically if you do die you restart on the screen you left off on, not all the way back at the beginning.

Seems like there is a lot of potential here, though.

Colony - Bodies Burning Colony - Bodies Burning

Alright

The distortion effect on the vocals was a bit much. Sounds like you auto-tuned the whole thing. It wasn't too bad, it just seemed out of place in a metal song.

diamond-armada responds:

didn;t distort the vocals, thats just me xD yeah I auto tuned, this is generally cus I have no idea how to do proper tuning, its quite gehey xD

Progressive Morphology Progressive Morphology

Very Cool

Sweet bass line; definitely kept me hooked.
Everything flowed together really nicely, and the instrument quality was excellent. The Jethro Tull-style flute playing didn't fit well. Calling it progressive is totally accurate, haha.
What did you use to make this?

CyriltheWolf responds: